First Slice 12-1-16: 2 Chainz' Castleberry Hill tapas restaurant Escobar opens
And Agnes Scott College's president declares support to Dreamers over deportation
- Agnes Scott College has joined Emory University in declaring that it will continue to support undocumented students, or Dreamers, if President-elect Donald Trump threatens to deport them.
- A Clark Atlanta University student is dead after a shooting that occurred outside a Sandy Springs condo. Cierra Ford was 25 and majoring in communications. Meanwhile, an unidentified man in his 30's was shot in the back on or nearby the campus of the Atlanta University Center Wednesday. His condition was unknown after he was transported to the hospital.
- Atlanta entertainer and entrepreneur 2 Chainz' new Castleberry Hill resto Escobar Restaurant and Tapas celebrates its grand opening next week on Dec. 7. An RSVP-only soft opening happens tonight. The tapas-heavy menu includes collard green spring rolls, hot chicken sliders, crab cakes, and such entrees as seafood linguine. [paywall]
- Speaking of food, the under-construction Mercedes-Benz Stadium has announced some of its forthcoming food vendors and there are a lot of locals in the mix, including Antico, Delia's Chicken Sausage, Farm Burger, Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, The Iberian Pig, King of Pops, Sublime Doughnuts, the Varsity, Miss D's Popcorn, a Kevin Gillespie concept called Gamechanger, and more.
- The Metro Atlanta Chamber has a new logo and it's actually pretty damn Atlanta. It's a phoenix, the symbol of rebirth long associated with the city, with 29 feathers representing each metro county served by the chamber.